Saturday, April 7, 2012

Questions

I've been thinking about the baby a lot. Not that I haven't been thinking about him 24/7 (and anyone who knows me can attest to this). But I'm thinking about him. I lay in bed with my hand on my belly while he wiggles and kicks and I think about this tiny person I've been blessed with. Who will he be? What will he love? Who will he look like? What will he grow up to be?

I want nothing but the world for him. I want nothing but happiness and success. I realize that I am my mother. That makes me proud.

I can't help but look at Matt critically, study parts I'd normally not notice like his freckles, his ears, his eyelashes....wonder what the baby will have of him and what he'll have of me. We both have the same shade of auburn hair with the same texture. Our eye coloring is similar but his have more green in them. We both have the scandinavian noses, although I'd argue mine is cuter. We're both dotted with freckles all over our bodies...the spastic type freckles and not the organized irish type. And very fair skinned. Although he can tan whereas I burn. He also has "morton" toe which runs on the Chase side of my family and luckily I don't have. He gets eczema in the winter, and I have bad elbows...both I hope we don't pass along. The odds are we'll end up with an auburn haired, hazel green eyed, freckly and fair baby.

But, on the other hand, we both have some strong recessive genes (oxymoron?). Matt's dad is blue eyed and light haired, my mom is towheaded with blue gray eyes. We could totally wind up with a blonde hair, blue eyed little nugget. Then of course I wonder about height. I top out at 5'6 and Matt at 6" even. But those Gjertson genes on my mom's side have my own brother at a massive 6'6 and great uncles roughly that height and taller. This kiddo is already a week + ahead in length, will he end up being taller than me when he's 12?

What will he be like? I wonder if he'll be tech savvy like his father or a total science nerd like me. Maybe he'll be lucky enough to be both. Will he be a klutz like me? Or more graceful on his feet like his daddy. I wonder if he'll love football and baseball, or go the volleyball route. I hope he's musical like Matt, but I doubt he'll be able to sing.  Will he love reading like us? I hope he has an ingenious blend of of Chase and Reichert humor. I bet he'll be stubborn and endearing like Matt, maybe he'll get my huge heart. He'll probably want to run around outside all day and hopefully wont break every bone like I did. I imagine him begging us for more bedtime stories and sneaking in to sleep with us when he has nightmares.

I can't wait to meet him and watch him grow into a man. I know he'll be a great one, that I know for sure. He's half his father and half me, he'll be nothing short of wonderful.


No comments:

Post a Comment