Thursday, May 3, 2012

Sicky Sick - 22 weeks 4 days

Despite my best attempts to not get sick while pregnant, I failed epically. I managed to get a really nasty chest cold or bronchitis. Normally when I get a chest cold it stays pretty high in my lungs and I can cough everything up. No such luck. Everything is really deep and sticky. No matter how hard I cough or for how long nothing happens. I feel like I'm drowning. I called my NP Nancy who told me to take tylenol and robitussin for my symptoms. Tylenol helped with the chills and aches, probably a fever (never clocked it higher than 99.6F). Robitussin BARELY took away the edge from my congestion and cough. Last night was just total hell. I couldn't sleep because I couldn't breathe. Not the cough a little bit and be able to breathe, the cough and not be able to breathe more.

I was in a catch 22. I was scared to take my albuterol and hurt Scarlett, I was scared that me being sick would hurt her too. Being sick and pregnant sucks. Luckily at 22 weeks she is well formed and protected and some sicky medicine wont hurt her. I finally caved and used my inhaler at 3am after 2 showers, 2 cups of hot honey and lemon water, cough drops and a popsicle. Being able to breathe is important for both her and I. I ended up getting maybe 3 hours of sleep total.

Called the OB this morning hoping that would write me for a zpack...but alas no such luck. Have to go to my own doc and be evaluated. Only problem is I still use my pediatrician. They'll take me until one of three things happen.

1. I get married
2. I get knocked up
3. I get a big girl job

Clearly number 2 takes me out of the running. However, when I called the doc said she would see me. She has asthma and had pneumonia during her pregnancy so she understood completely. I felt HORRIBLE by the time I got there. Ended up sick with influenza B and bronchitis. I definitely got the flu shot in September, apparently they weren't matched well enough. A lot of people recently have gotten the flu. Hi, I'm one of them. They prescribed me tamiflu and a zpack. I'm on bedrest until Sunday in the attempt to get my sick booty better. I still feel completely crappy and slightly feverish.

Aside from being a sicko today was absolutely beautiful. I went an laid on the deck for a little bit to see if I could make myself feel a little better in the sunshine. Scarlett, I found out, loves the sun. She surfaced when I laid down and sprawled out too. With my eyes closed I felt like I was 6 again, the planes overhead, the AC whizzing and the birds chirping near by. I all of sudden felt like grandma was there. I was surrounded by here. It was such an overwhelming and wonderful feeling. That's never happened before and I couldn't help but smile. I know that she's watching over Scarlett and keeping her safe.

Things I'm grateful for:
Morning: Not dying in my sleep from coughing
Afternoon: Antibiotics


How far along? 22 weeks 4 days
Total weight gain: 6 1/2lbs as of 19 weeks
Maternity clothes? Not currently, I'm in yoga pants and my RUSH nursing tee
Stretch marks?  Waiting for them
Sleep:  Only got 3 hours sleep last night because of being sick
Best moment this week: Matt getting roundhouse kicks from his daughter last night

Miss Anything? Sudafed and tea
Movement: She sure is wiggly. I love it.
Food cravings: Back to gummy worms
Anything making you queasy or sick: Can't say anything has
Gender:  Still a girl

Labor Signs: None, but I'm terrified coughing and sneezing will throw me into labor.
Symptoms: Not really, peeing a ton
Belly Button in or out? Hanging on the inside 

Happy or Moody most of the time: Definitely happy this week
Looking forward to: Feeling better







No comments:

Post a Comment