Sunday, February 24, 2013

Half a year - 6 months old

Tomorrow my baby is going to be 6 months old. Sitting here I can't even believe it has been half a year. It has gone by so fast and has been the most incredible 6 months of my life. My little baby is getting so big, I miss her being itty bitty already.



 My sweet girl only 5 days old

17lbs of beautiful baby girl

I know that in six short months I will be sitting here and reflecting on her first year, so I am trying desperately to hold onto these fleeting beautiful months with my not so itty bitty baby.


She is currently swaddled napping away, Matt is 5ft away in my bed napping too and from the monitor I can hear the steady sound of both of them breathing and my heart swells. I love being her mama, I love watching Matt with her. She loves her daddy so much. When he comes home from work and she hears him, she lights up. He'll get close to her and she'll reach out both of her hands to cradle his face. I swear she waits all day for that moment, because for the rest of the night, he is hers. There is nothing in this life that makes my happier, seeing her with him, having the three of us together, because it makes her so happy to have both her parents. It is still overwhelming just how much I love her and how I want to spend every second of every day with her. I cherish every moment.

I've been back to school for 2 months now, and in 6 months (just 8 days before her birthday) I will be graduating with my master's degree. I can't believe that at 24 I will have earned my master's degree and not even have a one year old. This has been my dream. Raise a family, get my masters, become a nurse and be happy. I can't believe at 24 that I will have achieved that. Like I told mom yesterday, I am already looking forward to getting my doctorate and having more babies. I have never been more sure of myself and what I am doing in my life. It feels good to know that I have stumbled (incredibly ungracefully) down my perfect path. 

The last 6 months have had their ups and downs, but one thing is for certain. She is happy. She is healthy. She is perfect. Because of her I have grown up and become a better person. My mantra is to best by her. Behave, act and react by what is best for her. While I might not always keep my emotions in check (hello I'm a female) I always take a step back, apologized and continued on. I know that I will never regret my words or actions living this way.


At 6 months Scarlett continues to absolutely thrive and flourish in her beautiful little life. Raspberries are still her favorite, in between them she coos and makes her Scarlisaurus rex noises. She is always chattered, drooling and smiling her gummy smile from elf ear to elf ear. The last two weeks she has figured out how to sit up, and when she's not jumping in her bouncy like a mad woman, she is sitting and playing with her toys. She's figured out her hands to a T, although he depth perception is still a little bit off. She loves faces and is always putting a hand out to touch a cheek, grab your nose, or palm your mouth for a kiss. But her arms are crazy and you have to be cautious while walking around and carrying her because she'll grab the wall or the banister of the stairs and hold on for dear life. Mainly to scare the crap out of the person holding her AND for a good laugh. We started her on homemade solids this month. Once a day she'll get two ice cubes of either guacamole, squash or sweet potato. I'm in no rush to increase the amount or frequency, it's more for her to learn and to play. She's loving it.


I have been working on moving her to the cradle. While insanely weary because of her reflux, it was needed. Girlfriend cannot sleep in her car seat until she is 18. The transition is well....going. We went from her sleeping 11-12 hours straight a night, to up to a minimum of 3x. It's exhausting. Matt has been graciously tag teaming with me, taking turns rocking her back to sleep, changing diapers, more rocking. The worse was 8 times in 9 hours. She's still swaddled because her arms are crazy and she can't sleep. However, around 5-6am she can't stand being swaddled and more and spends the next hour in bed with me crazily smacking me in the face and herself. The sweetest though was last Monday. It had been another rough night and Matt was tag teaming. She woke up when Matt was leaving for work, she did her normal wake up routine where she babbles and coos to me, putting her palm on my mouth for me to kiss it. Matt said her name and she swung her head around to find him on the other side of her. She did her little excited wiggle, smiled and cooed at him, and with her other hand poked him in the eye and then put her palm on his mouth for him to kiss. She was on cloud 9, she had each of us on a side, kissing her little hands and smiling at her. She kept looking between us, giggling and blowing raspberries.


Life with her is wonderful. Here is to another six incredible months with Scarlett Alexandra.








1 comment:

  1. So so sweet, Alli! Scarleybug is so lucky to have you as her mama!

    ReplyDelete